Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Royal Priesthood???

It is late in the afternoon on Tues. 95 degrees in the shade, and I sit and observe my fellow comrades trickle in with sweaty faces, paint covered pants, and smiles all around. We are tired, an exhausted tired that comes from extending ourselves beyond the limits we th0ught we had to the realities we are experiencing.
Yesterday, if you read Alex's blog, we ran into Thomas. My thoughts turn to him today as we begin Day 2 on another house which puts him one day closer to FEMA taking his trailer and his having to live in an unsafe house. Part of me is mad at a government that would allow that. Part of me does not want to admit the country I call home can close its eyes to extreme poverty and heartache. My eyes see and my heart hurts. I want to do more, I cannot, it is not within my control to do so. I want to yell and rail at a government whose priorities are so questionable. I know that many of you have either or will go to the primaries to vote today. Remember it is your civic right and privilege to speak out and I pray that you do.
I must write about an experience Kayla and I had yesterday.
At noontime, Alex expressed the need to use the bathroom. Knowing that we are in a rather questionable area, Kip, Kayla, and I decided it best if we all walked over together. As Alex took care of business, Kip explored the inside of the tire store, leaving Kayla and I to hang out outside. In moments a white car pulls up with a wife and kids driving, an African American gentleman comes out and walks over to us. Mind you, Alex is still in the bathroom, a 3X3 little room where the door does not close and the toilet is more scary looking than Alien. The guy comes up to us and asks us our names, ages, informational stuff. We responded, trying to strike up friendly conversation. Then he kind of sidles up to both of us and asks us if we would like to "get with a black man." There was no hidden innuendo, it was plain and clear. Kayla responds that her boyfriend is in the bathroom, so that is a no go. He asks me then and she tells him that I have a husband and I throw in that I have 2 kids at home as well. Thank you Atticus and Xavier. After a few more tries, he backs off a bit when who should appear from the corner????Kip!!!! He stood on the sidewalk with a little dismayed look on his face, like what in the world is happening here. He crossed over to our conversation and I know that Kayla and I felt better in his presence. Keep in mind, Alex is still in the bathroom, can hear everything, and through the holes in the door, can see what is happening...Alas, still on the toilet, he can not save us. From Alex's point of view, he felt like the guy from Dumb and Dumber......Sebass....'nuf said.
Moments later, our gentleman friend comes back around, claiming he is from new York and down on his luck with his family and could we spare $3. for gas. Telling him we are tapped, he gives up and takes off with his family. Interestingly enough, Kayla found $5. on our way to the station only moments ago. Alex had the money in his pocket, in the toilet, and thought about slipping it through the holes for him....We saved it, the money that is.
Today has dawned brighter with none of the scary moments of yesterday. We saw more work completed, and my father would be proud to know his daughter can haul big paint buckets and siding with the best of the men. Sara is now famous for being able to smell and hear the ice-cream truck coming from blocks away, the bloodhound for ice cream, we love it. No need for Ciara to dash blocks down the road, just leave it to Sara to show us the way.
All-in-all, a good day. I have many thoughts about needs versus wants. These people need homes, they want NOT for extravagance. Being the hands and feet of Christ is a call to a royal priesthood, supplying the needs for such a ravaged area. It is satisfying work. We are a royal priesthood amidst the rubble. God Bless all, cindy a. larson

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't help but be reminded when I read Cindy's entry that we live in such a broken world. We serve a God who calls us to live a life very different than the worlds standards! And yet, I believe at the same time he calls us to walk through the brokeness, keeping our eyes on Him. Without walking in the midst of brokeness we can't make a difference, we can't offer hope, or reflect a better way to live life. My heart and prayers today are with that man in the white car and his family. Who knows what ways God might use Cindy and Kayla's brief encounter with that man to work in his life.
Together keeping our eyes on Him,
Barb

Unknown said...

Cindy, I know you're missing your family, but know what a wonderful thing you are doing! I'm so glad you were there with Kayla during the "encounter"! You and your families are all in our prayers, continue to keep up the great work for the Glory of God! tracy j