Monday, June 2, 2008

-alex anderson-

After our teams morning breakfast, our entire group was sent into the neighboring church to receive our projects. We were met by four other groups where everyone was anxiously awaiting to get started on the houses. I was in charge of three other group members which consisted of Kip Roozen, Cindy Larson and of course Kayla Wingen. Our group was lead by a older gentleman named Ozzie. Unlike the rest of the group, Ozzie personally drove us to our worksite in the project vehicle which was an interesting time with the jokester Kip sitting in the front. We actually began working in a nearby suburb called Jefferson which was located just outside of New Orleans. Although I was ready for just about anything, what I saw and experienced at this house was something I will never forget. As we pulled up next to the house we were met by the house owner named Thomas who was extremely happy and gratefull to see us. As he showed us his "house" I looked around at the other team members and I could tell they were in just as much shock and disbelief as me. The "house" was completely dismantled with scraps of wood, tarp, plastic and in some areas there was nothing at all, leaving unfixed holes. The inside was uneven with no doors, elictricity, plumbing, and garbage was scattered everywhere. The backyard was where all Thomas and his wife's remaining possesions layed scattered. Their closet was built next to their house with scrap pieces of wood. What made this experience unforgettable was the relationship formed with Thomas and his current fight for survival he expereinces on a daily basis. He currently lives in camper that is placed next to his house. Unfortunatly, FEMA will be coming on the following Tuesday to take the camper away. He will then be forced to live in his unfinished house where he informed me him and his wife will be sleeping on the floor in their bathroom, which was the only room in the house that was sided and some sheetrock up. He explained that sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to survive. Their is no furnature in the house and the only thing they had to hold onto was the thought of other volunteers coming to help them. We informed Thomas that we would do our best to help him and his struggling family. We didnt even know where to begin but after about three hours of work an electricain came and told us he plans to take down what little sheetrock they already had in order to finish the wiring process. At that time we were informed we had to pack our tools and head to the next house on the list. We walked over to Thomas and told him the bad news, however he was still happy we came and inspired that people still cared about him and his family. The home we provided him will hopefully last him until the next group comes. Before we left I told him this, although I come from across the country one thing remains the same, the God in Sioux Falls, South Dakota is the same God in New Orleans, Lousiana, and that no matter what if you hold on to Him everything will work out. At that time we left for the next house on the list. I will never forget my experience with Thomas and neither will the team members who joined me on this unforgettable experience.

Family, friends, and church I love you and goodnight!

9 comments:

Jean Rose said...

Alex -- You and your team are in our thoughts and prayers. It is so cool when we realize God is just using us to show he exists. Thomas knows God -- because of you -- even if for a short time. Be very proud of yourself as we are.

Jean Rose

The Remillard's said...

Isn't it amazing that it has been 4 years and it is still that way! My heart breaks for Thomas and his family and all of those living like them. I can't imagine what you can do in such a short time, but I know it matters to the ones you help. We are so proud of all of you as you go out and become the hands and feet of Jesus! Blessings from the Remillard's
P.S. Mara is doing great!

Strohs said...

Alex...my heart ached and tears welled in my eyes for you as I read your words. The picture you painted with words was so vivid. What a blessing for you and your group to do what you could for Thomas. His hope is inspiring. I find it to hard comprehend the extravagance that is going on is Sioux Falls this week with Sanford Hospital and Health Systems, as victims of this hurricane continue to live in such desperate conditions. The team's ministry is so so important to those you encounter on this mission. Our prayers are with you...give my girls a hug, Jenna, Danielle and Boston.
~Peace~

Jayne Anderson said...

Alex, I am so proud of you and the team. Please keep up the good work and continue to spread the good news. I have my special "pray keychain" on my desk to remind me to pray for you, the team, and my special prayer partner, Kayla. I love the daily blogs, you are all bringing us a clear picture of your mission work, thank you to all who contribute. Please be safe and I look forward to seeing you soon. Love, Mom XXOO

Unknown said...

Alex, Kayla & the rest of the Asbury Team - we couldn't be prouder of you. Thanks for all you are doing for God's people!

We miss you...we're praying for you & look forward to your return!

God Bless.

Lee & Tracy Johnson

Josh Anderson said...

Alex, I had no idea you were even in New Orlenas, but I'm not shocked at all that you are there either. You have a BIG heart buddy and I am proud of you for being more than just a stud athlete, you are a stud care giver as well!! See you this summer.

Josh

Jayne Anderson said...

To Alex and Kayla, i'm reading the blogs on my new computer/Jayne's old one....I now wish I was there personaly to help Thomas. I remmember the Honduras trip, I felt like I didn't do enough. The pastor stated that driving one nail; hanging one sheet of rock; visiting with one person about Jesus,was the reason I was there. I now know the reason why you two are. Walk with Jesus and each other and come home safe. Love Dad/prayer partner.... (Monte Anderson)

Unknown said...

Hey Bugs! I finally figured out (with Lee's help) how to send a note to you! You are so awesome, I know that you left a huge impression on Thomas, and he won't ever forget you, because noone could ever forget you! Your love and service to God shows everyday, and you were chosen to leave a mark on Thomas. I wish I was there, I can't help but remember Honduras and how life changing that was. Continue to do what you do best, and we continue to pray for you, Kayla, and all the team. I talk about you every day when my patients ask me why I have yarn tied to my talk wrist. I get to tell them your story, and what you are doing, so you are not only witnessing in New Orleans, but also here in Sioux Falls. Take care, be safe and we will see you soon! Aunt Tracy

Unknown said...

Alex, Kayla & the rest of the team...talked to Kevin Kaesviharn last night - he's a Saint...asked exactly where you are...said he and his family were praying for you. Make sure you check on my other prayer partner, Julie - tell (warn) her that Rogene organized her music...all alphabetically! I/we miss her. Kip & Jason...This Sunday Mandy is playing piano, Rogene is playing keyboard - all to cover my "solo" guitar...I miss you guys for more than one reason! Things are a little "damp" back here...bring some "sunshine" and "Sonshine" home with you...Look forward to seeing all of you! God Bless - Love in Him - Lee J.